Recruitment 2017/18 Fire Season
The training which Scouts and Scouters undergo as members of SSA and the activities of VWS are largely similar – teamwork, leadership, mountaineering, mapping, first aid, taking the initiative and community service are all integral to both organisations. It is therefore no surprise that many volunteer firefighters are current and previous Scouts. The training and skills which VWS provides are world-class and can be put into action in many exciting scenarios at Troop level. There is a place for everyone, regardless of fitness or age, and there is a variety of roles in addition to being a firefighter. Join the unit and put your core Scouting skills into action in a real-life test.
Who can volunteer with VWS?
Anyone can volunteer, provided that you:
- are at least 18 years of age
- are medically fit
- have regular email and cellphone access
- and have reliable transport to one of our bases
Where is the VWS based?
- Newlands (Cape Town) (close to UCT)
- South Peninsula (Fish Hoek, Cape Town)
- Jonkershoek (Stellenbosch) (great for the students from Stellenbosch)
- Grabouw (Houwteq)
What qualifications or prior experience do I need?
You don’t need any qualifications or prior experience. We will provide all the training required for you to fulfill your preferred role.
However, being an outdoors person who enjoys hiking will be an asset to becoming a volunteer wildland firefighter. For those who would like to just help behind the scene, with events or fundraising, this is not needed, just a passion to help the community and support the work of the firefighters.
What positions are available?
- Fundraisers / Event planning
- Critical Support ( Logistics, Control Room, Planning / Resource Tracking)
- Drivers (need to have a current valid drivers licence – Code B or higher for 5 years)
- Wildland Firefighters
What do I need to do next?
- You will need to attend a mandatory recruitment Information Session (there are a few dates available, but you only need to attend one – it can be at any VWS station)
- Dates, times and venues are listed below
- You can RSVP to the Information Sessions HERE
Once you have attended an Information Session and completed an application form (available only after attending an Information Session), you will undergo training in the Winter months or become part of our event and fundraising team. Members are expected to assist at VWS events.
This involves skills and fitness training in the form of hikes and scenarios. You will need to complete an orientation, training sessions and a full weekend theory course to qualify with us as an active firefighter. Those wishing to do other roles have lesser requirements.
Further information about training, fire season and all the other requirements of joining will be available at the information meetings. Experienced members will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. You need to attend an Information Session before you can complete an application form.
Where and when will these Information Sessions be held:
- Wednesday, 22 March 2017 @ 18h30 – Newlands Fire Base
- Saturday 1 April 2017 @ 09h00 – Newlands Fire Base
- Thursday 6 April 2017 @ 18h30 – Newlands Fire Base
- Wednesday 19 April 2017 @ 18h30 – Newlands Fire Base
- (To be confirmed) Tuesday 25 April 2017 @ 18h30 – (Venue in Tokai TBC)
- Thursday 23 March 2017 @ 19h00 – Monkey Valley Resort
- Tuesday 4 April 2017 @ 19h00 – The Calders Hotel & Conference Centre
- Tuesday 11 April 2017 @ 19h00 – Monkey Valley Resort
- Thursday 16 March 2017 @ 19h00 – Jonkershoek Base
- Thursday 23 March 2017 @ 19h00 – Tygerberg Nature Reserve
- Tuesday 28 March 2017 @ 19h00 – Stellenbosch University
- Sunday 2 April 2017 @ 09h00 – Jonkershoek Base
- (To be confirmed) Wednesday 19 April 2017 @ 19h00 – (Venue in Helderberg TBC)
- Details coming soon